As I mentioned in my last post, every Valentine’s Day I make some delectable treat from scratch. This year I had made Nigella Lawson’s No Bake -Nutella Cheesecake, but I tweaked it slightly with a chocolate sandwich cookie crust instead of the graham cracker crust that is called for. Let me preface this that this dessert was to celebrate Valentine’s Day for my Valentine – who doesn’t like cheesecake but LOVES Nutella- so I figured it was worth a try. Four of us were celebrating – one Husband Valentine and two daughter Valentines. All four of us love Nutella, and only one (my husband) hates cheesecake- so he was outnumbered and we went forward!
Review: This is a Chocolate Lovers Cheesecake and Nutella is the STAR! The cheesecake is VERY RICH and silky. The hazelnuts on the top add a wonderful crunch and a nice flavor. To me, the texture is less cheesecake and more like a wonderful chocolate silk pie. The cream cheese adds a nice tangy flavor and a wonderful texture. The cheesecake tastes best cold- and I loved the chocolate sandwich cookie crust. I’m not a huge fan of graham crackers- but I’m sure if you like them they would be a nice complement to the cheesecake. Verdict from the not-cheesecake lover- He liked the flavors and overall liked the cheesecake. He also felt it was very rich and you should have a small slice. He did feel it had more of cheesecake texture than I did. He too like the chocolate sandwich cookie crust. My girls gobbled it up 🙂
Difficulty: Super Easy! Smash and Mix in about 15 minutes. Chill or Express freeze. NO Baking.
Recipe: Nutella Cheesecake taken from Nigella.com
- 10 oz graham crackers
- 5 tablespoons soft unsalted butter
- 1 x 13 oz jar Nutella (at room temperature)
- ¾ cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 1 lb cream cheese (at room temperature)
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar (sifted)
- Break the digestives into the bowl of a processor, add the butter and a 15ml tablespoon of Nutella, and blitz until it starts to clump. Add 25g/3 tablespoons of the hazelnuts and continue to pulse until you have a damp, sandy mixture.
- Tip into a 23cm/9inch round springform and press into the base either using your hands or the back of a spoon. Place in the fridge to chill.
- Beat the cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar until smooth and then add the remaining Nutella to the cream cheese mixture, and continue beating until combined.
- Take the springform out of the fridge and carefully smooth the Nutella mixture over the base. Scatter the remaining chopped hazelnuts on top to cover and place the tin in the fridge for at least four hours or overnight. Serve straight from the fridge for best results.
Alternate Chocolate Sandwich Cookie Crust:
Put two sleeves of chocolate sandwich cookies in a large zipper top plastic bag and smash cookies into tiny pea sized crumbles. Pour crumbles into a large bowl and mix with 5 tablespoons melted butter. Press the crumbles into the bottom of a springform pan. Follow the recipe above at the end of step 2.
Shawn – Hull’s Happiest Days Designs
Do you have a favorite recipe featuring Nutella?